Making homemade body wash is a great way to know exactly what's in the stuff you're putting on your skin. It also gives you a chance to pick and choose the ingredients you need for your skin type.
CHOOSING WHAT GOES IN YOUR DIY BODY WASH
Here are ten ingredients to use in homemade body washes, and why you want them in your mix. They each have different properties that will either soften, heal, or do other great things for your skin (and sometimes a combination of these things).
The most important thing when it comes to making your DIY body wash is picking the right ingredients – you want natural ingredients that are safe for your skin. You may not know it, but the stuff you put on your skin can seep into your bloodstream over time. When it comes to giving your body wash a scent, you always want to use essential oils that are made to be safe for use on your skin – while you can use more than just the oils listed below, do a little research on safety and on the health benefits as well. You can also swap your carrier oil for other choices that are good for your skin, including jojoba.
Here are some of the ingredients you should consider using in your DIY body wash, followed by an excellent recipe that will make you never want to purchase any store-bought body wash again.
Castile soap is a made from vegetable oils, often organically made. It's easily acquired at big box stores and health and wellness stores. You can buy it in regular or pre-scented. Since it's naturally made, you know it's good for your health, as well as for the environment. Toxin-free and safe for everyone in the family, even pets and babies, castile soap will add lather to your DIY body wash. Castile soap will be part of the base ingredient for your body wash, along with some other natural oils that offer even more health benefits to your skin.
- Pure, cold-pressed, organic, non-GMO extra virgin coconut oil, Non-GMO Project Verified
- USDA Certified Organic, unrefined, unbleached, hexane-free and gluten-free
- Contains 62% MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) See Supplement Facts for total fat and saturated fat content
Coconut oil is good for your whole body, inside and out. For the health of your skin, it offers many properties, the least of which is softening. If you want softer skin, use coconut oil in your homemade body wash – it deeply moisturizes and helps with dry and itching skin. Some of the other properties this natural oil offers includes being antifungal. That means it can help you avoid things like athlete's foot. A little can go a long way with this oil.
- 100% PURE GRAPE SEED OIL: Our Grapeseed oil is 100% pure and contains no impurities or fillers. This allows the...
- GREAT MASSAGE OIL & SKIN MOISTURIZER: Grapeseed oil has low comedogenicity and will not block pores when applied to the...
- ANTI AGING - PREVENT WRINKLES & AGE SPOTS: Wrinkles and age spots are mainly caused by overexposure to UV rays. Our Pure...
Grapeseed oil is made from the seeds of grapes, hence its name. Grapes themselves offer all sorts of health benefits, so it makes sense that the seeds would be effective in health care as well. Great for cooking with and for skin care, grapeseed oil is a must in your collection of skincare items. Grapeseed oil is rich in Omega 6 fatty acids and antioxidants like vitamin C. It heals your skin from the outside in. Grapeseed oil can also help you fight cellulose and toxins.
- STRAIGHT FROM THE BEEHIVE - 100% Raw, Unheated, Unfiltered, and Unprocessed - Simply The Best
- CERTIFIED KOSHER - Pure Domestic US Grade A Raw Honey
- ABSOLUTELY NO PRESERVATIVES OR ADDITIVES - Maintaining Natural Enzymes, Pollens, Amino Acids, Propolis, Vitamins,...
There is a difference between raw honey and honey not labeled as being raw. While all honey has some health properties, raw honey has more benefits because they aren't cooked out in the processing. Raw honey is antibacterial and antifungal, and it is a powerful antibiotic. It's been used in wound healing – which means that using it in your DIY body wash will help you heal everything from cuts and scrapes to bug bites. It also softens the skin.
If you suffer from itchy skin (from bug bites, eczema, psoriasis, or something else), toss some organic oatmeal in your food processor to grind it up and add it to your homemade body wash. It will assist with soothing your skin and stopping your itch, and it will also act as a mild exfoliant. Part of what helps with the itching is the fact that oatmeal help relieves inflammation. It will also help soften your skin. It's great for people that want to heal dry and cracked skin, like on your heels.
- OUR LABELS HAVE CHANGED: Based on FDA Regulations the nutrition and supplement fact label may change in two ways -...
- Protects body's cells from compounds such as lead and mercury; contains 1333% RDA of Vitamin E per soft gel serving
- Recommended for use in conjunction with Vitamin C
Vitamin E has anti-aging benefits, so including it in your skincare regimen could help fight wrinkles and help keep you looking younger for longer. Vitamin E is often an ingredient in anti-wrinkle agent and treatment to help heal scars. As an antioxidant, vitamin E fight free radicals. This ingredient just might help protect your skin from skin cancer (along with always wearing sunscreen).
- # 1 NATURAL SKINCARE MOISTURIZER ON EARTH - HEAL - PROTECT - MOISTURIZE
- Daily skin moisturizer / Face and Body / Dry skin relief / Dry scalp Blemishes and wrinkles / Sunburn / Soften tough...
- Contains essential fatty acids & vitamins A, D, E, & F that provide antioxidants & assist with UV Ray Protection.*...
Shea butter is another powerful ingredient working against inflammation in your skin. Many people that use shea butter in their skin care swear by its ability to heal tormented skin. If you have eczema or psoriasis, this is an ingredient you want to have on hand. Shea butter smoothens your skin. It is also a natural protectant against the sun, hosting an SPF of 6. That means that your DIY body wash could be offering you daily sun protection all year round.
- 100% PURE LAVENDER OIL: We use only the highest quality lavender essential oil with absolutely no additives or fillers
- A FAVORITE AROMATHERAPY OIL: Lavender essential oil is very popular for use in massage, bath products and lotions for...
- IDEAL FOR RELAXATION: Lavender is well-known to have a calming, relaxing effect, and many people enjoy diffusing the oil...
Yet another ingredient that helps fight itchy skin issues, lavender is an excellent addition to your body wash. Not only does it have all sorts of healthy skin benefits, but it also smells great. It will offer a fresh scent that you'll find both joyful and invigorating. Lavender can also help you relieve redness on your skin. It's relaxing mentally, as well as physically – so it's great whether you shower morning, noon or night!
- 3 PACK CITRUS SET - All containing 100% Essential Oil. The Set Includes 1oz Bottles of Sweet Orange, Lemon, and...
- GUARANTEED HIGHEST QUALITY, MOST POTENT CITRUS ESESENTIAL OILS - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their...
- DON'T FALL VICTIM TO CHEAP DILUTED SWEET ORANGE OIL - Most of the Competition Dilute Their Oil with a Cheap Carrier Oil...
If you want a body wash that really wakes you up in the morning, use natural citrus oils in your blend. Not only are things like lemon juice and orange juice natural astringents, but they also invigorate your skin, your circulation, and your mood. Because of the astringent properties, your skin won't be as oily and greasy. Because of the alpha hydroxyl in citrus fruits, your citrus body wash will also work as a natural exfoliant, helping remove dead skin for the surface layer. This will make your skin look and feel healthier.
HERE'S A MUST-TRY DIY BODY WASH RECIPE
Here are the ingredients, as well as the instructions, for making an amazing body wash that includes many of the items you just read about. Here are the ingredients you'll need to have on hand:
Start by scooping the required amount of coconut oil out and placing it in a microwaveable bowl. You'll then need to heat it for 3 seconds on medium setting. You need it melted, and microwave time can vary. Once the coconut oil is completely melted, you'll need to add the honey, vitamin E, and the essential oils. Whisk them all together until completely combined. Add the Castile soap last. You don't want to have the soap sud up while you stir it in, so go slowly. Once everything is together, you will transfer the body wash to a plastic or glass container.
The ingredient will separate, so you'll want to gently shake the container before each use. You'll get lots of suds when you use this invigorating body wash.
START MAKING YOUR OWN DIY BODY WASH TODAY
Now that you've had a look at how easy it is to create a skin-friendly body wash right in your own home (one that will treat your skin ailments, make you look younger and healthier, and leave your skin feeling soft and supple), it's time for you to create some DIY body wash. Experiment with different essential oils and share the creations you love the most with friends and family – they make great DIY gifts and stocking stuffers. Reuse your own bottles (including those from your old store-bought body wash), and you'll be environmentally friendly as well!